* The 1812 overture is played in the U.S. during the fireworks display in the 4th of July
* It was written by Tchaikovsky, a Russian, to celebrate the Russian defeat of Napoleon.
* The Marseillaise, which is played during the overture, wasn’t the national anthem of France during the invasion. It wasn’t the anthem until 1879.
* It was first played in the U.S. at the dedication of Carnegie Hall in 1891 with Tchaikovsky conducting.
* Many Americans believe that it has to do with the US. 1812 war. It doesn’t.
* Tchaikovsky may have never heard it as it was written
We were just working on tweets for our upcoming Tweetcert this summer and prepared something very similar to this.